Sunday, May 14, 2006

Be My Guest

"They think I'm insane", she said to me out of the blue.

She was a teenager, one of them teenagers that chew gum with an attitude. She sat in front of me in a crowded cafe. I said nothing in return. She continued as if I were interested.

"They put me on this fucking medicine and I'm not fucking taking it".

I felt like asking her to take it but I said nothing. She looked directly at me and her nose flared as she continued.

"I know Becky's gone and nobody knows it. But I know it and her replecement knows it. We dropped acid and she got lost."

"Did anyone call the police", I asked with the most rational voice on I could muster.

"I saw it happen", she said. "I almost went too".

She explained that there are multitudes of parellal universes right in front of our noses and we are not aware of them. She said that sometimes we pass into one and when we do we steal the energy of the host, including all its memories. When that happens we can't remember where we came from and we are convinced we are the person whose memories we inherit. The host either flees to god knows where or its absorbed into the life and being of the alien. The alien itself thinks it is the host. The whole thing is almost seamless. Except a few things happen. You change abruptly in your personality and mannarisms. Everyone notices except yourself. They want to give you medication. You have a vague memory of nother world but you can't get to it. It is more of feeling of nostalgia for something that has been disconnected but you don't know what.

"How do you know you got away. You might be the alien now", I offered.

"You know, this isn't a coindidence", she snapped.

"It is a grand coincidence", I said. "Make yourself at home".

The teenager smirked a smirk and left some change on the table and walked out.

No comments: